Defining Giftedness and the Educational Needs of the Gifted
In alignment with the state of Texas' definition of giftedness, Fort Bend ISD defines gifted students as those who perform at or show the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment.
These students require modification(s) to their educational experience(s) to learn and realize their potential. Being identified as gifted and talented is not an award or achievement; rather, students receiving gifted and talented services
• come from all racial, ethnic, and cultural populations, as well as all economic strata.
• require access to appropriate learning opportunities to realize their potential.
• can have learning and processing differences that require specialized intervention and accommodation (twice exceptional).
• may require additional support and guidance to develop socially and emotionally as well as in their areas of talent.
• require varied services based on their changing needs.
Adapted from NACG Position Statement, published July 2019.