Who are we looking for?
We seek highly-dedicated professionals to deliver quality, engaging instruction that will spark our students imagination, retain their interests and promote a student-centered environment during the absence of their teacher.
Why should I become a substitute?
- Create a life-long love for learning in a student’s educational experience
- Substitutes are often hired for full-time positions when they have displayed excellence in job performance and follow ethical practices.
- Flexibility to schedule your own jobs and job locations
- Exposure to various grade levels and campuses within Fort Bend ISD
What to expect during the selection, screening and hiring process?
- Applicants MUST complete a substitute application
- In addition, applicants MUST apply to the appropriate substitute job posting (if you do not apply to a posting, your information will NOT be screened)
- Preliminary Background Check
- Initial Screening
- Fingerprints (FAQ) Prior to receiving an official job offer, all applicants must have completed the fingerprint process and passed the background check
- Completion of New Hire "Smart Forms"
Previous FBISD Substitutes will be required to go through the new process based on their applicant type. Substitute applicants are screened once a month. Once your application is evaluated, you will be contacted via email regarding the recommendation process. Should anything be missing from your application, you will be notified and provided an opportunity to update your application. All candidates whom only have 60+ college hours will be emailed instructions for completing and submitting a video interview as part of your application requirements. New Substitutes Orientations are generally held twice a month (Once a month during the months with long holiday breaks) and for most of the school year.
Are there other mandatory trainings I have to complete?
All Substitutes are required to complete the following Annual Staff Trainings. You will have 45 days from your employment date to complete these trainings in order to continue as an active substitute in our system.
- Universal Precautions
- Emergency Management
- Child Abuse Reporting
- Bullying and the Law
- Substitute Teachers are not eligible for employee wage and health benefits.
- Substitute Teachers are not eligible for unemployment compensation during school holidays and/or breaks including summer breaks.
Substitute Pay Rate Information
Want to join our professional team?
Individuals who wish to join our organization must complete and upload the following to be considered:
- Teaching certificate (preferred)
- A college degree (preferred) or 60 credit hours from an accredited institution. Official transcripts must be uploaded
- Two references from current/previous supervisors. You must provide valid email address and the response should be current within the last year
All Applicants Must:
- Complete or update an online substitute application
- Apply to the appropriate substitute job posting
- Upload a copy of official college transcripts which reflects at least 60 college hours (if foreign transcripts, you must have them evaluated and upload the evaluation to your online application)
Substitute Office Contacts