Credit by Exam
Credit By Exam Information (No Prior Instruction)
Exam for Acceleration/Credit by Examination – No Prior Instruction (EA/CBE/NPI) provides course credit for students who are enrolled in Fort Bend Independent School District and have no prior formal instruction in the grade level or course.
REGISTRATION FORMS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CAMPUS COUNSELOR DURING THE REGISTRATION WINDOW.
Registration Eligibility (Students must meet all eligibility requirements)
- Student is enrolled in a Fort Bend ISD school. *
Elementary students must meet the state law age requirement—five years old by September 1st for Kindergarten, or six years old by September 1st for First Grade.
Registration form is completed indicating grade level/subject for testing.
School counselor must sign registration form to verify the student’s grade level and CBE eligibility.
All registration forms must be received by the school counselor by the registration deadline.
* Kindergarten Registration begins April 2020 for Session 3 (date TBD). Students will also be allowed to register for Session 4 when the window opens in May 18, 2020. Please inquire about forms from the counselor after you have registered.
Kindergarten Score Requirements: Students must score a minimum of 80% on mathematics and the reading/language arts exams for advancement to first grade
Grades 1-5 Score Requirements: Students must score a minimum of 80% on each subject area of criterion-referenced tests that cover the essential knowledge and skills in reading/language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science for the grade level they wish to skip.
Middle School Test and Score Requirements: Middle School courses are awarded credit for the entire year. A student must earn a minimum score of 80 percent on the exam in a subject area to be awarded course credit. Scores of 80, or above will be recorded as the grade on the student’s academic achievement record and the student will receive regular/non-weighted course credit. Scores below 80 will not be recorded on the student’s permanent transcript.
PHOTO ID IS REQUIRED FOR TESTING (Grades 6-12)
High School Tests and Score Requirements: Students wishing to earn credit for a high school course may test with the following exams:
- University of Texas Credit by Exam for Acceleration. Passing score 80 % or higher.
- College Board Advanced Placement exam. Passing score 3 or higher. Score conversion to grade on transcript is as follows:
- AP Score 3 = grade 85
- AP Score 4 = grade 90
- AP Score 5 = grade 95
- CLEP Exam. Passing score 60 or higher. Score conversion to grade on transcript is as follows:
- CLEP Score 60 = grade 85
- CLEP Score 70 = grade 90
- CLEP Score 80 = grade 95
- Credit for all courses earned with Credit By Exam, including AP and CLEP exams, will receive regular/non-weighted course credit.
- If the student meets the score requirements for a course, the scores must be recorded as the grade on the student’s transcript and regular/non-weighted course credit must be awarded to the student and calculated in the student’s GPA, whether the designation is With Prior Instruction (minimum standard: 70) or Without Prior Instruction (minimum standard: 80). •
- The student is only allowed one attempt at a course exam.
- The district will not accept scores of testing completed outside of our district scheduled testing window without prior approval from the Department of Student Centered Assessment.
- The student’s classification as “No Prior Instruction” or “With Prior Instruction” may not be changed once the test is administered.
- A 'No Show' is considered an attempt for a CBE score. Students who do not appear for their scheduled exam are not eligible to register for the same exam the same school year.
- Students will only be allowed to take one level, per session for any subject. World Languages can test out of multiple levels. The levels MUST be identified first.