Your Board of Trustees, comprised of seven local citizens, provides an important public service to the Fort Bend community, and serves without compensation. In accordance with the Texas Elections Code, Fort Bend ISD calls Board elections for the first Saturday in May of each year. Board elections are held at various locations across the District and Fort Bend County. Vacancies occurring after the election are filled by appointment until the next election is conducted.
Specific information on upcoming elections, including the election calendar and filing deadlines, will be posted to this page as it becomes available. General information and statutory requirements regarding elections are available in Board policy: BBA (Legal), BBB (Legal) and BBB (Local)
Current Officers of the Board of Trustees
President: Addie Heyliger
Vice President: Dave Rosenthal
Secretary: Grayle James
After the canvassing of each election, the Board elects a president, vice-president, and secretary to serve a one-year term. The Fort Bend ISD Board of Trustees consists of seven members. Board members shall be elected for three–year terms, with elections conducted annually. Election of Board members shall be by position.
Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a rotating basis. Two are elected each year, one from each side of the District (Position 1, 2 and 3 on the West, and Positions 5, 6 and 7 on the East). Also, every third year, the “at large” Position 4, is elected.
The seven Board of Trustees members are voted on by all residents of the District, and represent all residents of the District.
Eligibility and Filing for Candidacy
To be eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, the office of school board member, a person must:
1. Be a United States citizen.
2. Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
3. Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
4. Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
5. Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the filing date. Election Code 1.020, 141.001(a); Gov’t Code 601.009; Brown v. Patterson, 609 S.W.2d 287 (Tex. Civ. App.—Dallas 1980, no writ); Tex. Const. Art. XVI, Sec. 14.
For the May 2021 Board election, the first day to file for a place on the ballot is Wednesday, January 13, 2021. The last day to file for a place on the ballot is Friday, February 12, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
To file, submit an application in person or by mail to:
Fort Bend ISD
16431 Lexington Blvd., Suite 103
Sugar Land. TX 77479
Applications are available at: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/2-21f.pdf
Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer Form: https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/cta.pdf
Applications filed are public records and can be reviewed upon request.
Contact: Gary Rosier, Executive Assistant to the Board of Trustees, by phone at 281-634-1008 or by email at Garrett.Rosier@fortbendisd.com
Fort Bend Independent School District
16431 Lexington Blvd.