Students eligible for spring evaluation
- Fort Bend ISD students who enrolled after the the closing of the fall referral window (after September 30, 2021)
- Fort Bend ISD students who are identified for GT services and wish to be re-evaluated to add an area of service (fee assessed for re-evaluation)
- The online referral website link will be available beginning January 5, 2022 on the GT Home Page.
- To submit a referral, the parent/guardian must use the online referral website during the referral window.
- Referrals must be submitted online by the January 31, 2022 deadline. Exceptions will not be made.
- Students who are already identified must submit payment for re-evaluation using RevTrack before January 31, 2022.
- Details for submitting payment will be posted prior to the start of the Referral Window.
- Parent/guardian must consent to have the student tested if a staff member refers the student (parent/guardian will be contacted by the campus GT Counselor).
- Students identified for GT services in all areas in FBISD may not be referred.
- The cognitive abilities test used is the CogAT 7. Subtests administered are Non-Verbal, Verbal, and Quantitative.
- The Spring testing window is February 8 - February 11, 2022 (subject to change due to safety protocols for coronavirus)
- Teachers must complete a School Rating Scale (SIGS) for referred students.
- Parents are asked to complete a Home Rating Scale (SIGS) provided by the campus GT counselor prior to testing.
- Assessment scores, School Rating Scale, and Home Rating Scale (SIGS) scores are plotted on the Gifted and Talented Identification Profile.
- The Campus Selection Committee convenes to review results and verify accurate student profiles.
- All student profiles are verified by District GT staff.
- Students who are identified typically meet the following criteria:
- Non-Verbal test score in gifted/high ability range AND;
- Verbal OR Quantitative score in gifted/high ability range.
- Rating scales do not keep students from being identified.
- Rating scales serve the purpose of providing additional information for students with at least one test score in range.
- All members of the Campus Selection Committee have been trained in gifted education and specifically in identifying students' needs for the education services provided by the FBISD GT Program.
- Students are identified for services in specific content areas, English Langauge Arts and Social Studies and/or Math and Science.
- Parents are notified in writing of the Campus Selection Committee's decision.
- Notification letters will be sent home April 11, 2022.
- Parents are advised of their right to appeal and the process for doing so.
- Parents must appeal within ten school days, as indicated on the notification letter.
- Appeals meetings take place on the campus, and the parent is invited to attend and speak to the committee.
- The Campus Appeals Committee responds with its decision in writing within ten school days of the meeting.