Students eligible for fall evaluation
- Currently enrolled FBISD students in grades K-11.
- Students who are not identified for gifted and talented services in FBISD in any content area.
- The online referral window will be available beginning August 11, 2021, on the GT Home Page.
- To submit a referral, the parent/guardian must use the online referral app. Use this link to access the GT Online Referral App.
- Referrals must be submitted online by the September 30, 2021 deadline. Exceptions will not be made.
- Parent/guardian must consent to have the student tested if a staff member referred the student (parent/guardian will be contacted by the campus GT Counselor).
- The cognitive abilities test used is the CogAT 7. Subtests administered are Non-Verbal, Verbal, and Quantitative.
- The testing window is November 1 - November 12, 2021 (for all grades except 2nd - please see the 2nd grade Cognitive Abilities Testing page for more information).
- Students test during school hours.
- Teachers must complete a School Rating Scale (SIGS) for referred students.
- Parents are asked to complete a Home Rating Scale (SIGS) provided by the campus GT counselor between November 1 - November 12, 2021.
- Assessment scores, School Rating Scale, and Home Rating Scale (SIGS) scores are plotted on the Gifted and Talented Identification Profile.
- The Campus Selection Committee convenes to review results and verify accurate student profiles.
- All student profiles are verified by District GT staff.
- Students who are identified typically meet the following criteria:
- Non-Verbal test score in gifted/high ability range AND;
- Verbal OR Quantitative score in gifted/high ability range.
- Rating scales do not keep students from being identified.
- Rating scales serve the purpose of providing additional information for students with at least one test score in range.
- All members of the Campus Selection Committee have been trained in gifted education and specifically in identifying students needs for the education services provided by the FBISD GT Program.
- Students are identified for services in specific content areas: English Langauge Arts and Social Studies and/or Math and Science.
- Parents are notified in writing of the Campus Selection Committee's decision.
- Notification letters for kindergarten students will be sent February, 2022.
- Notification letters for students in grades 1-12 will be sent March, 2022.
- Parents are advised of their right to appeal the Campus Selection Committee's decision and the process for requesting an appeal.
- Parents must appeal within ten school days, as indicated on the notification letter.
- Appeals meetings take place on the campus, and the parent is invited to attend and speak to the committee.
- The Campus Appeals Committee responds with its decision in writing within ten school days of the meeting.