Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can fundraising requests be submitted? 

    All fundraising requests must be submitted through the Fort Bend ISD Fundraising system. Any food that will be sold or distributed should be included in this request. The request form can be found here:  

    What is consider the School Day?  

    On July 1, 2014, the school day begins at midnight and continues until 30 minutes after the last instructional period of the day or the last bell for the school day. 

    What are competitive foods?  

    All food and beverages sold to students on the school campus during the school day, other than those meals reimbursable under programs authorized by the National School Lunch Act and the Child Nutrition Act. 

    When can elementary schools have outside food brought on campus? 

    At the elementary school level, competitive (fundraising) foods and snacks are not allowed to be sold or served to students anywhere on school premises throughout the school day, until the end of the last scheduled class period. The one exemption is Lauren’s Law. 

    What is the Lauren’s Law Exemption? 

    In honoring the long-time celebration of children’s birthdays on school campuses, Lauren’s Law allows parents, guardians or grandparents to bring birthday treats for their children and classmates. These treats are allowed to be served in the classroom at any grade level, subject to the principal’s discretion. All items brought for this celebration need to be store bought and not homemade and MUST be logged in to the “Outside Food Log”. Adults should be sensitive to any child in the classroom with food allergies. 

    These treats can only be distributed at the end of the school day.  

    When is a snack allowable at the Elementary campus? 

     Elementary classrooms may allow one nutritious snack per day under the teacher's supervision, but it may not be served during regular meal periods for that class. The snack may be provided by the school food service, the teacher, parents or other groups and should be at no cost to students. Also the snack should adhere to the Federal guidelines of no more than 200 calories and 230 mg of sodium. Candy cannot be used as an instructional incentive or instructional device to teach students math, science or other curriculum. 

    When can middle schools have outside food brought on campus? 

    At the middle school level, competitive (fundraising) foods and snacks are not allowed to be sold or served to students anywhere on school premises from 30 minutes before to 30 minutes after meal periods. 

    When can high schools have outside food brought on campus? 

    At the high school level, competitive (fundraising) foods and snacks may be sold or served at any time during the school day, including during the lunch period, provided they are not sold or made available in the area where cafeteria meals are being sold or consumed. For example, at a high school, the cafeteria and commons area would be off limits during the meal period. Organizations shall be allowed to sell at breakfast three days per week and lunch one day per week. 


    Organizations shall be allowed to sell at breakfast one day per week and lunch three days per week. 


    One outside vendor’s potentially hazardous food product shall be allowed to be sold one day per week. (Potentially hazardous products are defined as any food product containing meat, cheese, milk, eggs, or other dairy product, etc. such as Pizza, Chicken and Yogurt.) All nutritional information shall be in compliance with all regulations. Organizations may rotate products on a weekly basis. 

    DECA marketing class projects shall comply with new Federal nutrient standards, Texas Administrative Code and all local policies and procedures. 

    All food sale and service during the school day shall be in compliance with the Federal Nutrient Standards, Texas Administrative Code and the Texas Department of Health and all local policies and procedures. 

    Food sales or service outside the school day are not subject to these procedures or the Texas Administrative Code. However, these sales or service shall be in compliance with the Texas Department of Health Policies and procedures at all times.  

    New guidelines will be effective July 1, 2014, as a result of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act signed into law in 2010. 

    Are parent organizations allowed to supply non-nutritive food at special events at which parents will be with their children, such as Doughnuts with Dads, Muffins with Moms, iMom mornings, or All Pro Dad mornings? Do the requirements regarding events change if the event is held a) before or after school hours; b) during school hours, but before or after lunch; c) during lunchtime, but not in the cafeteria?  

    Parent Organizations are not able to supply non-nutritive food at special events. Since these events are generally held at an Elementary campus, the law requires these events to be in compliance with the new Federal guidelines effective July 1, 2014.  

    Elementary campuses cannot have any food sold or served during the school day to the students, except birthday treats and one nutritious snack per day.  

    Middle Schools cannot have food served or sold 30 minutes prior to 30 minutes after a meal service period anywhere on campus. 

    What needs to be done for all foods brought on campus? 

    Due to student allergies and restrictions, all food brought to a campus should be store bought with a nutrition facts label and ingredients list to be reviewed by the campus nurse and logged in using a food log. A sample log can be found here: ***Link to outside food log, file:///M:\Fundraising\Outside%20Food%20Log.docx ***** 

  • In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

    Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

    To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

    1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

    2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

    3. email:

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.