Free and Reduced Meal Program

  • To receive free or reduced priced meals in the current school year, your child(ren) must have a current school year approved meal application or current school year Direct Approval/Certification Notice on file in the Child Nutrition Department even if they were approved for meal benefits in the previous school year.

    Parents and Guardians are responsible for any charges incurred by their children in the cafeteria. This includes the meal charges while applications are being processed for meal benefits until they are approved. 

    It is important to include all household members and students on the application even if they choose not to participate in the program. Free and Reduced Benefits.

    Students and families may receive discounted fees for various programs at school and home. The District also receives more grant money and funding for students based on the number of students approved for free and reduced-price meals. Please assist our District and your child’s campus by completing a Free and Reduced meal application each school year.





    For parents who cannot access the online application, computers for applications are available in the Child Nutrition Department located at 555 Julie Rivers Dr., Sugar Land, TX, 77478, or check with your campus cafeteria.  Questions?  Call (281) 634-1855.

    Returning Applicants

    To avoid any interruption in program benefits, submit a new application for approval before September 25, 2019. FBISD does not backdate application approvals per Federal Regulations, so be sure to make a timely submission of your application. Please click here to apply. Submit only one application per household.

    Frequently Asked Questions 

    Do I need to fill out an application for each child? 

    No. Complete one Free and Reduced-Price Meal Application for all children in the household. Please be sure to fill out all required information.

    Who can get free meals?   

    • Income—Children can get free or reduced-price meals if your household’s gross income (total without deductions) is within the limits described on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
    • Special Program Participants—All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), can get free meals regardless of income. Children who attend Pre-K or PPCD based on State Funding are also eligible for free meals.
    • Foster—Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court appointed guardian are eligible for free meals.
    • Homeless, Runaway, and Migrant Farm Worker—Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant farm worker qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told about a child’s status as homeless, runaway, or migrant farm worker, please contact the campus counselor for each child.

    If your child(ren) has(ve) received a directly approved/certified notification for free meals and it does not list all the children in the household, please contact the Child Nutrition Department at 281-634-1855 or email us at immediately. 

    I receive WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? 

    Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application based on income.

    I receive Medicaid/CHIPS. Can my child(ren) get free meals? 

    Children in households participating in Medicaid/CHIPS may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application based on income.

    If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

    Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year.

    If your household income or circumstances change after you have applied for the current year, you may become eligible for free or reduced-price meals.  Please complete another meal application.

    My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? 

    To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office.
    What if I have more questions?
    Please call (281) 634-1855 or email us at
    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.