Grow Your Own Program
At FBISD we provide you with the tools you need to succeed. As a certified District of Innovation (DoI), FBISD is committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining effective teachers. Come join us now!
Grow Your Own:
The Grow Your Own (GYO) program gives FBISD the ability and resources to help paraprofessionals, aides, and substitutes transition into teaching roles. GYO Flyer
- Discount code provided for the registration fee
- Capturing Kids’ Hearts - Professional development
- Blended coursework/additional coursework support
- Assistance in finding a position
- Informational sessions
- Two-year mentorship
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a 2.5 GPA or above. (Health Science Technology and Trades & Industrial Education certifications are exempt from the bachelor’s degree requirement)
- Official University Transcripts (must be verified in the US)
- Acceptance into Teachworthy, Alternative certification Program (ACP)
Teachworthy and Assessment Costs:
Steps to Achieving a Teacher Certification:
Definition of terms:
- ACP - Alternative Certification Program.
- Internship - ACP candidate’s first year of teaching under the supervision of a certified field trainer.
- Observation hours - Observing educators within the classroom and/or online.
- Student teaching - One semester of teaching under the supervision of a certified teacher and guidance from a field trainer instead of an internship.
- Field trainer - An educator from the ACP program who observes and supports teacher growth.
- TExES - Texas Examinations of Educator Standards.
- PPR - Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities
- edTPA - Educational Teacher Performance Assessment
Accredited ACP programs:
(There are various ACP programs available in Texas. It is important to choose one that fits your individual needs.)
- Texas Teachers of Tomorrow
- iteach TEXAS
- etools 4 Education
- Inspire Texas
- University/Community College-based programs
Certification requirements + PPR/edTPA (TExES, PPR) :
Pre-K - 6th Grade
- Science of Teaching Reading (new Jan 1, 2021)
- ESL supplemental
- Core subjects 4-8
- 4-8 Math
- 4-8 Science
- 4-8 ELAR + ESL + Science of Teaching Reading
- 4-8 Social Studies
- 4-8 ELAR and Social Studies + ESL + Science of Teaching Reading
- 4-8 Math and Science
- 7-12 ELAR + ESL
- 7-12 content area
Deb Erhart, Talent Acquisition Consultant
For additional information on available programs, please visit www.tea.state.tx.us and select "Becoming a Texas Teacher.”