Eligible high school students are offered an opportunity to earn college credit while simultaneously completing high school requirements. College credit is provided by Houston Community College in accordance with the TAC §4.84. All students taking dual credit courses MUST meet TSI requiremnts for most courses. For more information, click here or ask your Counselor or College & Career Readiness Advisor.
Credit Course Options
- Dual credit is earned when students complete college credit courses with acceptable grades, gain approval of their high school, and use these college credit courses to satisfy high school graduation requirements.
- Each school district determines which college credit courses they will accept as dual credit in accordance with their district course approval guidelines and how students will satisfy high school graduation requirements. It is important to check with your high school counselor for the most current list of approved dual credit courses.
- Co-enrollment or Concurrent Classes
- A student may enroll in a college credit course and receive only the college credit for that course, however they are responsible for paying full tuition to the college for these courses. Any concurrent course taken only for college credit do not need to be approved by FBISD and are not placed on a student's high school transcript.
- Dual Credit Course Fee
- Beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, HCC will assess a $50.00 per course fee for any students taking dual credit courses who reside outside of HCC's service area (taxing district). This fee will be covered by FBISD for any student on the free or reduced lunch program. Details on how students outside of the HCC service area and are not on the free or reduced lunch program will pay for any courses registered are pending. Early College High School (ECHS) and Pathways in Technology (P-TECH) programs will remain tuition-free for students enrolled in those programs.
Dual credit course availability depends on student requests, staffing, and other resources at each campus. Some courses may not be available on all campuses. The Fort Bend Independent School District seeks to provide equal educational opportunity without regard for race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or disability. Students must meet all pre-requisite course requirements in both the ISD and collegiate course.
In the matter of College Algebra, it is important to note that College Algebra is not a dual credit equivalent to high school Algebra I or high school Algebra II and receives dual credit on the high school transcript only if it is taken as an embedded course with Math Independent Study in the Fall and College Algebra in the spring. College Algebra taken off campus is a "college-credit only" course and will not be a part of the high school transcript. Three hour semester collegiate courses taken at the college and as concurrent enrollment cannot transfer as full-year ISD replacement credit. Before enrolling in a collegiate course, it is advised that students/parents speak to the high school counselor for guidance and information.
Dual Credit Crosswalk
Please click here to view which courses may be available at a high school or HCC campus. Not all courses are available at all high schools. Please check with your counselor for more information!
Other Helpful Links