Travel Abroad during the school year as an enrichment activity:
If you are going abroad during the academic year (first day of school to last day of school) and would like to count the experience as an enrichment event, you must do the following:
- Pre-approval from the Academy Coordinator
- Must be a “new” destination—meaning never previously counted as an enrichment event for the Academy—destination in this context means the country, not the city. In addition, only one trip abroad can count each school year. Travel abroad must start on or after the first day of school. Travel abroad must conclude on or before the last day of school.
- Spend a minimum of 4 complete days in the host country (submit copies of formal travel reservations as verification).
- Have an itinerary that includes a minimum of 4 historic or cultural sites (this includes, but is not limited to: monuments, museums, formal [city] tours, etc.). Submit a document that outlines your planned itinerary.
- Do research on your destination prior to the trip regarding the following topics of your destination: economy, language, religion, values/norms, historical contributions, government, cuisine, and social organization.
- Try a minimum of four traditional dishes (document with photographs or videos in your blog)
- Create an online blog (either while traveling or within three weeks for your return to the United States) documenting your trip. You and your parents must agree for the publication/sharing of your online blog on the IBMA website via parent email. The blog must remain live online for a minimum of 2 years past its publication. Your blog must include the following:
- A minimum of 8 posts, each accompanied by a photograph or video
- The posts should be personal and about your experience/observation there.
- Each post should focus on a different topic: economy, language, religion, values/norms, historical contributions, government, cuisine, and social organization.
- Each post must be a minimum of 2 paragraphs of at least 5 sentences each.
- To verify your travel abroad please attach the following to your verification log:
- Copy of the approval email from the coordinator. (granted after you submit your reservations/itinerary)
- A copy of the email sent to the coordinator from a parent email address granting permission to publish the blog and its URL with the coordinator’s subsequent response that the blog has met all specifications. (Remember this email should be dated within three weeks of your arrival back to the United States.)