Fort Bend Independent School District is committed to providing a safe method of transportation for all eligible students. The privilege of transportation requires that students obey appropriate safety and conduct rules. Reminder – State law requires all vehicles to stop when approaching a school bus with the red loading lights flashing.
In addition, by state law “a person commits an offense if the person intentionally disrupts, prevents, or interferes with the lawful transportation of children to or from school or an activity sponsored by a school on a vehicle owned or operated by a county or independent school district.”
Rules and Saftey Guides and Videos:
Bus Conduct and Discipline
School Bus Safety Video
To The Parents of Elementary Students
For the safety and protection of children attending elementary school classes, note the following helpful reminders:
- It is highly recommended that K-2 elementary students have a name and address tag placed on their clothing. Do not put tags inside school back pack. Keep tags on students for at least the first two weeks of school.
- Drop-off times may vary for the first two weeks of school until bus routes are firmly established. The school dismissal time will help you estimate and approximate the drop-off time for students based on the location and distance of the bus stop from the school.
- Most Elementary Schools average 15 minutes after bell time until the bus departs the bus ramp.
- If we feel that the safety of an elementary student is in question at drop-off time, the student will be returned to school and the parents/guardians will be contacted by campus officials.
We encourage you to meet your child every day at their designated bus stop.
Students are responsible for contributing to the safe operation of the school bus – not detracting from it.
School Bus Rules
School Bus Danger Zones:
The most dangerous time for a student who rides the school bus is during the loading and unloading process. It is critical that students are visible to the driver and out of the bus danger zone when the bus is in motion. This important rule applies to loading and unloading both in the neighborhoods and at schools. If students are crossing the street, they should move immediately out of the danger zone and proceed at least 15 feet in front of the bus before crossing the street. NEVER CROSS THE STREET BEHIND THE BUS.
Before Boarding the Bus:
- Arrive at your designated stop at least ten minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up time. Fort Bend ISD will not send a bus to pick you up if you miss your bus.
- Be careful in the loading area. Wait in an orderly, single line for the bus to arrive and avoid horseplay. Stay out of the street or bus drive while waiting for the bus.
- Approach the bus entrance doors only after the bus has come to a complete stop. Pushing or shoving while boarding the bus will not be tolerated.
After Boarding the Bus:
- Obey the bus operator’s directions.
- Go to your assigned seat and stay seated until you arrive at your destination. The bus operator will assign you a seat.
- Speak in a classroom voice. Loud speech or laughter causes distractions for the driver.
- Rough-housing or horseplay on the bus will not be allowed and may result in a loss of transportation privileges.
- Keep the bus litter free. No food or drinks may be consumed on the bus.
- Buses are the property of Fort Bend ISD. If you cause any damage to or vandalize a Fort Bend ISD bus, you and your parent or guardian will be financially responsible and you may permanently lose your transportation privileges.
- Observe the rules of good conduct and show courtesy to everyone. The use of profane language, rude gestures, or malicious behavior toward the bus operator, a fellow passenger, or another motorist will not be tolerated.
- Never throw an object inside or out of the bus. Keep all parts of your body inside the bus at all times.
- For the safety of all passengers, aisles must be kept clear of all objects such as books, backpacks, musical instruments, packages, and coats. These items must be carried in your lap.
- Items which are prohibited on school grounds may not be taken on a Fort Bend ISD school bus such as alcohol, tobacco, drugs, animals or weapons.
- All provisions of the Fort Bend ISD Code of Student Conduct apply to students when being transported by Fort Bend ISD Transportation Dept.
- Violations of the Fort Bend ISD Code of Student Conduct when being transported on a Fort Bend ISD school bus will be referred to the appropriate campus administrator for disciplinary action.
Conduct violations may result in a temporary or permanent loss of a student's transportation privileges!
Leaving The Bus:
- If you live on the right side (bus exit side) of the street, leave the bus and walk in a direction in which you can be seen by the driver.
- If you live on the left side of the street (across the street from the bus), leave the bus and walk at least 15 feet in front of the bus. Watch for the driver’s signal that it is safe and walk to the left front fender of the bus.
- DO NOT CROSS BEHIND THE BUS.
For your safety, you may ride your assigned bus only and you will be discharged only at your assigned stop.
Be sure to follow the directions of the driver. Your safety is our primary mission!