The purpose of this organization shall be to create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, and to develop character in the students of secondary schools.
COMMUNITY SERVICE GUIDELINES:
Check an agency's non-profit status here:
COMMUNITY SERVICE GUIDELINES ARE SHARED DURING EVERY MEETING,
AND WE WILL POST THE GUIDELINES HERE SOON.
2022-2023 Membership Selection Procedures and Financial Obligations
1. Juniors and Seniors meeting the initial requirement of an 85/100 G. P. A.
2. Check the library page in Schology IN OCTOBER for the eligibility list.
3. Inclusion on this ELIGIBILITY list (85/100 G.P.A. only) and attending an interest meeting does not guarantee selection.
4. The membership form link will be available in REMIND in October. Email an officer for the Remind code.
5. Electronic membership forms are due by 3:00 p. m. on November 4, 2022.
6. By November 4, 2022, candidates must submit 8 community service hours (August, 2022- November 4, 2022) to the NHS officers. YOU MUST HAVE 8 COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS FOR YOUR APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE. YOU MAY SUBMIT HOURS ON STATED SUBMISSIONS DATES.
INFORMATION FOR PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS
The National Honor Society chapter of Elkins High School is a duly chartered and affiliated chapter of this prestigious national organization. Membership is open to those students who meet the required standards in four areas of evaluation: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Students are selected for membership by majority vote of a five-member faculty council, which bestows this honor upon qualified students on behalf of the faculty of our school each spring.
Students in grades 11 and 12 are eligible for membership. For the scholarship criterion, a student must have a cumulative GPA of 85 on the 100-point scale. Each fall, those students who meet this criterion are invited to complete a Candidate Form that provides the faculty council with information regarding the candidate’s leadership and service.
Also, candidates will complete eight (8) hours of approved community service between August 2022 and November 4, 2022, prior to induction into the EHS National Honor Society.
To evaluate a candidate’s character, the faculty council uses two forms of input. First, school disciplinary records are reviewed prior to candidacy AND again days before the induction ceremony. Second, members of the faculty are solicited for input regarding their professional reflections on a candidate’s service activities, character, and leadership.
Any solicited faculty input and all Candidate Forms are carefully reviewed by the faculty council to determine membership. A majority vote of the council is necessary for selection. Candidates are notified regarding selection or nonselection according to a predetermined schedule. Following notification, a formal induction ceremony is held at the school to recognize all the newly selected members. The faculty council’s decisions are deemed final.
New members shall pay annual fee of $32.00 ($20 dues and $12 t-shirt) by a pre-determined time. Senior inductees shall pay $10 dues and $24.00 for the NHS honor stole. Senior inductees are not required to purchase a t-shirt, but they may do so for $12.00.
Once inducted, new members are required to maintain the same level of performance (or better) in all four criteria that led to their selection.
Ms. Asheley Griffin
Phone: (281) 634-8643
Ms. Melanie Watson-Lee
Phone: 281.634.2600 EXT. 72832