The Sartartia Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society is a service organization that is open to 8th grade students who embody the 5 pillars of Scholarship, Service, Leadership, Character, and Citizenship
To qualify for an invitation to become a member of NJHS, the student:
- Must maintain a cumulative, overall middle school average of 85.0% in ALL courses with numerical grades and have no failing final grades in any courses.
- Must have been enrolled at the school for at least one full semester.
- Must abide by the Sartartia Middle School NJHS Chapter By-Laws.
- Must demonstrate sound and effective leadership, admirable citizenship, and trustworthy character at Sartartia Middle School and in the community.
- Must pay the chapter dues of $40 (including t-shirt) prior to your induction (after acceptance into NJHS).
- Must participate in and have transportation to any NJHS Chapter community service projects.
Students will be invited to apply to NJHS during the months of March or April of their 7th grade year if they meet the qualifications.
SMS NJHS New Member Timeline for the 23-24 School Year
NOTE: All Dates Below are in Spring 2023 -- Application process happens in the Spring prior to the students' 8th grade year
- Thursday, March 2nd: Application eligibility letters delivered during 1st period to all 7th grade students who qualify for an application based on 6th grade and 1st semester 7th grade grades.
- Friday, March 3rd: Above eligibility letters delivered to students who were absent on Thursday, 3/2. (NOTE: If a student is absent both days, they will get their letter the week after).
- These elibility letters DO NOT guarantee acceptance into NJHS. These letters simply explain how to apply for NJHS, which is done through Schoology (see student letter for details).
- Monday, March 20th: Last day to submit "Teacher Evaluation Form" in Schoology -- This is part of the application that must be done before the final application due date to give teachers time to complete.
- ***Friday, March 24th: ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS DUE IN SCHOOLOGY BY 11:59 PM*** -- Applications will not be considered if they are submitted after this date.
- Wednesday, April 19th: Application Decisions Announced (Date Subject to Change) -- Acceptance announcement will be made through Schoology; any denials will be given a hand-delivered letter in class.
- Wednesday, April 26th: New Member Paperwork Due in Schoology, including dues/t-shirt money paid through RevTrak (see instructions in Schoology). *Dues must be paid by this date or student will not be inducted into the organization*
- Wednesday, May 3rd: New Member Induction Practice in the Commons from 4:20-5:00 PM
- Thursday, May 4th: New Member Induction in the Commons from 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- Tuesday, May 9th: New Member Parent Informational Meeting in the SMS Library from 5:00 - 5:30PM (Voluntary, not required)
If you have any questions, please contact one of the organization sponsors.
For more information, please contact: