Professional School Counselors are available at Hightower High School to provide a Comprehensive Developmental Guidance Program and services for all students in the areas of:
- Guidance Curriculum - In an effort to help students develop competence in essential life skills
- Responsive Services - Provide intervention for immediate personal/social/emotional concerns
- Individual Planning - Provide guidance to help students plan, monitor, and manage their personal, educational and career goals, and facilitate transition activities for post-secondary education and/or training
- System Support - Support campus staff, parents, and the community to promote the educational, career, personal, and social development of students, as well as the Developmental Guidance Program
What is confidentiality?
Confidentiality is keeping information discussed between the student and the school counselor (or the parent and the counselor) private. Confidentiality is vital to the student-counselor relationship.
Are there times when the school counselor will break confidentiality?
Yes, there are certain instances when the school counselor is required to report confidential information, such as:
- When a student reports someone is hurting them
- When a student reports they are hurting someone else
- When a student reports they are hurting themselves
- With the student’s permission (often something that is uncomfortable for the student but useful for a parent or teacher to know)