AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a college readiness system for elementary through higher education that is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance. The AVID College Readiness System (ACRS) accelerates student learning, uses research based methods of effective instruction, provides meaningful and motivational professional learning, and acts as a catalyst for systemic reform and change.
AVID WANTS YOU!
The AVID program at Sugarland Middle is looking for students that want to advance themselves and are determined to be successful!
What is AVID?
AVID is a schoolwide college readiness system with a rigorous curriculum and structured support.
What does AVID do?
- Develops readers and writers.
- Develops deep content knowledge.
- Teaches content-specific strategies for reading, writing, thinking,
- Develops helpful habits such as organization, enhances academic and social skills, and creates a positive peer group.
- Develops a sense of hope and personal achievement gained through hard work and determination.
Criteria to join:
- Student has academic potential
- Average test scores
- College potential with support
- Desire and determination
Interested in joining?
- Fill out the AVID application by going to the FBISD website
- Selecting “Departments”
- Select “AVID”
Please contact Shannon Galloway (AVID Coordinator) via email at Shannon.email@example.com for any questions!
Professional School Counselors are available at Sugar Land Middle School to provide a Comprehensive Developmental Guidance Program and services for all students in the areas of:
- Guidance Curriculum - In an effort to help students develop competence in essential life skills
- Responsive Services - Provide intervention for immediate personal/social/emotional concerns
- Individual Planning - Provide guidance to help students plan, monitor, and manage their personal, educational and career goals, and facilitate transition activities for post-secondary education and/or training
- System Support - Support campus staff, parents, and community to promote the educational, career, personal, and social development of students, as well as the Developmental Guidance Program
- College/Career-Awareness and exploration of career pathways and options after middle school and high school. 8th graders will participate in high school endorsement selection as well as four-year planning.
Eleni SmithLead Counselor8th Grade CounselorWEB Leaders-management504 Program-8th gradersNAVIANCE Program CoordinatorHomeless Liaison5th Grade Visit/Parent Night CoordinatorCareer DaySugar Land Exchange Club Point of Contact8th Grade Course Selection Coordinator8th Grade Awards(281) 634-3086Kimberly Seright6th Grade CounselorGifted and Talented Liaison504 Program-6th gradersMentors (TAPP)WINGS SponsorWEB Lessons-Discovery Classes(281) 634-3085Nafecia Brinson7th Grade Counselor504 Program-7th gradersIncoming WEB leader selectionCharacter Education/No Place For Hate CoordinatorMindfulness/Titantopia Coordinator(281) 634-3087Carmen BrantleyCounselors' Clerk(281) 634-3088Tandi PhillipsData Entry ClerkRegistration of new students281-634-3118
Mental Health Presentation 2022-2023
Mental Health Presentation
Grief and Loss Presentation
Presentation on Grief and Loss