THE BENEFITS OF ART CLASS!
- Art encourages higher order thought processes that are different than many traditional academics. In art, there is no one correct answer. Therefore, the student is forced to analyze the problem given to them and come up with their own unique solution. This type of creative problem solving is a valuable skill. Once students have learned this skill, they can use it to write English papers, design science experiments or even solve problems in their own lives, outside of school.
- For many students, especially those who learn in nontraditional ways, art classes offer them a greater chance to excel in school. Art appeals to all senses and is always handson. Nothing solidifies knowledge more than by actively completing a task. Although reading and writing are important in my art classes, the focus is on creating artwork.
- Art also enhances a student's perceptions. Artists tend to be more observant, conscious people. Art students develop a greater understanding of their visual culture and how they are affected by it.
- Art allows students to express themselves and it can boost self esteem. As students gain independence and figure out who they are, being able to express themselves through art provides a wonderful outlet.
- Studies have shown that students who take art classes do better in school overall.
- Lastly, students should take art classes because they are fun!