What is a fee waiver?
There are two types of fee waivers, SAT/ACT exam registration fee waivers and college application fee waivers.
How do I know if I am eligible for a fee waiver?
To be eligible for fee waivers (exam registration or college application), the student must be enrolled in the FBISD free or reduced lunch (FRL) program. Free or reduced lunch program applications are available online. Visit the FBISD Child Nutrition Department’s Free and Reduced Meal Program page to learn more about the free or reduced lunch application process; the application is open year round.
How do I request a SAT/ACT fee waiver at KHS?
SAT Exam Registration Fee Waivers:
- Students can register for the SAT twice (2) for free.
- Students who took the PSAT or SAT School Day during junior year AND were on FRL at the time of the exam do not request an SAT exam registration fee waiver. SAT exam registration fee waivers were uploaded to the student’s College Board account after the exam. The student needs to “accept their fee waiver benefits” in their College Board account. Once the benefits have been accepted and the student registers for the SAT, the system will automatically apply the fee waiver.
- If the student was not on FRL at the time of the PSAT or SAT School Day OR if the student did not take the PSAT or SAT School Day during junior year, then the student will use the KHS ACT/SAT Fee Waiver Request Form to request the fee waiver. The student will only request a fee waiver once for the SAT. The ONE code will be used for both free SAT exam registrations.
ACT Exam Registration Fee Waivers
- Students can register for the ACT four (4) times for free.
- To receive an ACT fee waiver the student must complete the KHS ACT/SAT Fee Waiver Request Form. The student will complete the form each time they would like to take the exam.
Use the form below to request an ACT fee waiver or SAT fee waiver. Remember, only enter SAT fee waiver requests if you did not take the PSAT/SAT School Day during junior year or were not on FRL during junior year. Students will be sent the fee waiver codes via email to the address entered on the form.
How do I request a college application fee waiver?
There are three types of college application fee waivers: College Board Application Fee Waivers, ACT Application Fee Waivers, & NACAC Application Fee Waivers, and Common Application Fee Waivers. Review the information below on how to access each type of application fee waiver. The College Board Application Fee Waiver is the easiest for students to access. When the student submits the admissions application in either Apply Texas, the Common App or through the university’s website, the student will indicate at that time that THE STUDENT, will send the college an application fee waiver. Application fee waivers are NOT upload to the admissions application. The application fee waivers are either emailed to the college or uploaded to the student’s admissions portal on the university website. A student’s admissions application is not complete until the university receives the student’s college application fee waiver. It is the student’s responsibility to send the college the fee waiver.
- College Board Application Fee Waivers- If you took the SAT using a fee waiver you are eligible for the SAT College Application Fee Waiver. Once your SAT scores are available online, a link will become available in your College Board online account for the college application fee waiver. You will receive ONE College Board college application fee waiver that can be used an unlimited number of times. There is no way to “request an SAT college application fee waiver.” The fee waiver is automatically in your College Board account.
- ACT College Application Fee Waiver- A student is eligible for an ACT College Application Fee waiver if the student used an ACT exam registration fee waiver, the student had to take the ACT exam, not just request the ACT exam registration fee waiver. To receive the ACT College Application Fee Waiver the student will need to contact the College & Career Readiness Advisor (CCR Advisor). The CCR Advisor will provide the student with the ACT College Application Fee Waiver. The student can apply to four (4) colleges using the ACT College Application Fee Waiver.
- NACAC College Application Fee Waiver- A student is eligible for an NACAN College Application Fee waiver if the student qualifies for FRL. To receive the NACAC College Application Fee Waiver the student will need to contact the College & Career Readiness Advisor (CCR Advisor). The CCR Advisor will provide the student with the NACAC College Application Fee Waiver. The student can apply to four (4) colleges using the NACAC College Application Fee Waiver.
- Common App Application Fee Waiver- If the student is applying to a college via the Common App and the student qualifies for FRL then the counselor will approve the fee waiver request when all required counselor Common App documents are uploaded to the student’s Common App transcript request in Naviance.
Do all colleges/universities accept SAT, ACT, and NACAC Application Fee Waivers?
Many do, but not all. The student will need to visit the college/university’s admissions page or contact the admissions office to determine what type of fee waiver is accepted. Some colleges/universities have their own application fee waiver forms and some will require income tax information. Some colleges/universities accept the SAT, ACT, and NACAC fee waiver forms but also require additional documentation.
Tip: To locate the application fee waiver instructions for your college/university, type “schoolname college application fee waiver” in the Internet search engine.