The College Application Process- The Basics
Applying to College? Below are key points you should know about the application process.
Send ScoresTranscriptsFor more detailed information, log into your Naviance Student account.1. APPLICATION:Complete and submit the application including essays.Application sites (in order of preference)
2. FEES:Pay the application fee or submit a fee waiver. Must qualify for free or reduced lunch to submit an application fee waiver. Fee waivers are NOT uploaded in Apply Texas or Common App. The fee waiver is submitted to the college AFTER the admission application has been submitted. The fee waiver is either submitted by the student to the college or by the counselor to the college depending on the application system used to apply for admissions.
- ApplyTexas is for public and private colleges in Texas (this should be your first choice application site).
- The Common Applicationhas more than 900 colleges/universities. If applying to a college in Texas please use Apply Texas. If college if out of state or the application is not available on Apply Texas, use Common App.
- University website. If the college does not have an application in Apply Texas or the Common App, then there is most likely an application on the college's website.
- Coalition Application is similar to the Common App but only has about 150 colleges. We recommend only using the Coalition Application only is this is the only place the college application is located; University of Maryland at College Park, the University of Washington and Virginia Tech applications are only offered through the Coalition Application.
3. SEND SCORES:If applying with SAT or ACT scores the student MUST send the official score report through the testing agency. It takes about a month for the college to receive the scores therefore it is recommended that the scores be requested through the testing agency account at least six weeks before the application deadline.
4. TRANSCRIPT:All students must request their official high school transcript through Naviance. Watch the instructional video for help requesting transcripts.