Professional School Counselors are available at Alyssa Ferguson Elementary to provide a Comprehensive Developmental Guidance Program and services for all students in the areas of:
- Guidance Curriculum - In an effort to help students develop competence in essential life skills
- Responsive Services - Provide intervention for immediate personal/social/emotional concerns
- Individual Planning - Provide guidance to help students plan, monitor, and manage their personal, educational and career goals, and facilitate transition activities for post-secondary education and/or training
- System Support - Support campus staff, parents, and community to promote the educational, career, personal, and social development of students, as well as the Developmental Guidance Program
What do school counselors do?The school counselor’s job includes the following:
- Counsel individuals and small groups of students to meet identified needs.
- Deliver the guidance curriculum and assist teachers with the school’s guidance curriculum.
- Consult with parents, teachers, and other staff regarding concerns about students’ needs.
- Coordinate people and resources in the schools and in the community for the benefit of students.
- Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program to serve all students.
- Provide staff development and training.
- Know about and adhere to the ethical, legal and professional standards of the counseling profession.
How Do Students Access the School Counselor?
A student may access a counselor by:
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative or other staff referral
- Referral by friend
988 Mental Health Line
988 is the District’s confidential helpline dedicated to the needs of secondary students and elementary students in grades 3-5. Students can call or text 988 for a variety of reasons including:
- mental health concerns such as depression or suicidal thoughts
- issues such as bullying, harassment, arguments, or family problems
Text or Call 988 for Help.
Students can call this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.