COMPREHENSIVE DEVELOPMENTAL GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING PLAN
The FHCL Comprehensive Developmental Guidance and Counseling Plan is designed to promote and enhance the learning process. The Ferndell Henry Center for Learning Counselors are certified School Counselors as well as Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC). The specialty designation of LPC affirms the ability of our counselors to move beyond the traditional limitations of school counseling and directly address crisis situations by providing evidence-based treatment modalities in the school setting as well as individual emotional issues that are psychological in nature. FHCL Counselors work with all students, parents, teachers, administrators and the community through a balanced program of counseling and guidance services. Large- and small-group structured learning units provide systematic instruction for all students at all grade levels. Consultation services concerning student behavior and academic progress are available to parents, teachers, and administrators. Our program is aimed at facilitating, promoting and enhancing student development through three broad areas:
LEARNING TO LIVE (Personal/Social Development) The development of personal/social standards is an integral part of an individual’s pursuit of success in life. To understand and respect self, relate positively to others, make informed and safe decisions, cope effectively with change, and become responsible citizens are essential to this process.
LEARNING TO LEARN (Academic Development) The development of academic and educational standards is an integral part of an individual’s pursuit of life-long learning. Being able to achieve educational success, identify and work toward goals, manage information, organize time, and locate resources are essential to this process.
LEARNING TO WORK (Career Development) The development of career standards is an integral part of an individual’s pursuit of success in the world of work. Being able to develop the knowledge and skills to make realistic career plans, make a successful transition from school to work, achieve interdependence, and compete in a global economy are essential to this process.
The FHCL comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program organizes the work of our counselors into four major components: Guidance Curriculum, Individual Planning, Responsive Services, and System Support.
· The Guidance Curriculum component includes structured experiences presented systematically through large- and small-group activities for all grade levels. The curriculum emphasizes decision making, self-understanding, career development, and the improvement of study skills.
· The Individual Planning component includes counseling activities to assist all students in planning, monitoring, and managing their own academic achievement as well as their personal and career development. Individual planning emphasizes test interpretation and educational counseling including post-secondary and career planning.
· The Responsive Services component addresses the immediate needs and concerns of students. Such services include personal counseling; crisis counseling; agency referral; consultation with parents, teachers, and other professionals; and support groups.
· The System Support component includes indirect guidance management activities that maintain and enhance the total guidance and counseling program. The responsibilities of guidance counselors in this component encompass staff and community relations, special research projects, committees, professional development, and student-support teams.
Dr. Melissa Earls, NCC, NCSC, LPC-S, RPT-S
Dr. Nicole Tuner Savoy, NCC, LPC-S
Campus Compliance Coordinator
FBISD SCHOOL CounselingOur mission is to support every student in Fort Bend ISD to achieve mental wellness, academic, and personal success in K-12 education and prepare for his or her post-secondary goals and aspirations. The Five Pillars of College & Career Readiness links on this page are here to help with this process.
For more information, contact your school counselor or college & career readiness advisor. All college & career planning, including transcript requests, go through the Naviance College & Career Planning Platform. Click on the Naviance link on this page and select your specific middle or high school campus!
BLACKBOARD - MASS NOTIFICATION SYSTEM
Welcome to Blackboard Mass Communication System – FBISD’s mass notification system!
Blackboard Mass Communication System is used to send emergency, attendance and general notifications from your child’s campus and Fort Bend ISD, as well as attendance updates and information about negative lunch balances. Parents may opt to receive phone calls, emails and text messages through Blackboard Mass Communication System.
Note: Parents listed as Guardian 1 in Family Access will be the primary contact in Blackboard Mass Communication System. Only the primary contact will be allowed to add contacts in Blackboard Mass Communication System. Primary guardians in separate households will both have the ability to add contacts.
Text Messaging - By choosing to receive any text messages or phone calls, standard data fees, text messaging rates, or international charges may apply based on your plan with your phone carrier. As mobile access and text message delivery is subject to your mobile carrier network availability, such access and delivery is not guaranteed.
Communication preferences are customizable based on several categories, including:
- Emergency messages: This category pertains to events that are affecting the safety of your child, an incident that is affecting normal operations of your child’s school day, or District closures due to inclement weather or other emergencies. Safety messages will fall into this category if they involve active/ongoing investigations or situations. The default setting for emergency messages will include the primary guardian’s phone/email for each family/household, with ability to add additional contact phone numbers and email addresses and opt-in to texts. At least one phone number and email address are required and must be provided for these communications.
- Attendance messages: These are automated and will be sent out once a day, via phone call and email. The default setting for attendance messages will include the primary guardian’s phone/email for each family/household, with the ability to add additional contact phone numbers and email addresses and opt-in to texts. Parents can opt out of receiving these messages by logging into the system.
- Balance – These are automated and will be sent out once a week via phone and email, when a child owes more than $5 in their lunch account. The default setting for “balance” messages will include the primary guardian’s phone/email for each family/household, with ability to add additional contact phone numbers and email addresses and opt-in to texts. Parents can opt out of receiving these messages by logging into the system.
- Other – These are regular and the most common messages sent by campus administrators and the District. These notifications will pertain to campus events and information, as well as general notifications of campus incidents. Some safety messages will fall into this category if they involve general awareness and reminders, or precautionary measures implemented during the course of a school day. The default setting for “Other” messages will include the primary guardian’s phone number or email for each family/household, with ability to add additional contact phone numbers and email addresses and opt-in to texts. Parents can opt out of receiving these messages by logging into the system. Note: Parents are strongly encouraged to have at least one email address set as a preference. Email is the primary communication method for campus and District communications, and not all messages can be abbreviated into a phone call or text.
- Survey – Please note that this category is not related to the distribution of Fort Bend ISD surveys administered via K12Insight, and this survey feature is not something FBISD plans to utilize at this time.
Naviance by Hobsons is a comprehensive K-12 college and career readiness platform that enables self-discovery, career exploration, academic planning, and college preparation for millions of students across all ages and around the globe.
Naviance by Hobsons is a comprehensive K-12 college and career readiness platform that enables self-discovery, career exploration, academic planning, and college preparation for millions of students across all ages and around the globe. Please log in today and complete the task assigned.
All FHCL Studetns are required to complete the FHCL SMART Goals exit form in Naviance prior to exit.