A Professional School Counselor is available at Mission Glen Elementary to provide a Comprehensive Developmental Guidance Program and services for all students in the areas of:
- Guidance Curriculum - Help students develop competence in essential life skills
- Responsive Services - Provide intervention for immediate personal/social/emotional concerns
- Individual Planning - Provide guidance to help students plan, monitor, and manage their personal, educational and career goals, and facilitate transition activities for post-secondary education and/or training
- System Support - Support campus staff, parents, and community to promote the educational, career, personal, and social development of students, as well as the Developmental Guidance Program
Parents are welcomed to preview guidance-counseling materials by making an appointment with the counselor. If you prefer your child not participate in specific lessons, please contact the school counselor.
The school counselor’s job includes the following:
- Counsel individuals and small groups of students to meet identified needs.
- Deliver the guidance curriculum and assist teachers with the school’s guidance curriculum.
- Consult with parents, teachers, and other staff regarding concerns about students’ needs.
- Coordinate people and resources in the schools and in the community for the benefit of students.
- Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive developmental guidance and counseling program to serve all students.
- Provide staff development and training.
- Know about and adhere to the ethical, legal, and professional standards of the counseling profession.
- How Do Students Access the School Counselor?
A student may access a counselor through:
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative or other staff referral