Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor's degree in Cinema Studies Master's Degree in Childhood Education. Certifications: EC-6 ESL
Mr. Luis Mercedes
Hello, my name is Luis Mercedes and I am really excited to be part of the Sugar Mill Elementary community as the EL Specialist!
I was born and raised in New York and completed my undergraduate studies at SUNY Purchase as a Cinema Studies major in 2010. I obtained my Master's degree in Childhood Education at CUNY Hunter College in 2015. I just recently attained my second master’s degree in Educational Administration from Lamar University and am in the process of completing my principal certification. In total, I have been in education for 7 years.
I have two sons and a beautiful spouse at home. We are proud New Yorkers but love it here in Texas!
My hobbies/interests include movies, music, pro wrestling, baseball, Marvel comics, and food! Being an educator has so far been a real pleasure because children are just generally awesome. As the English Learner Specialist, I look forward to providing the teachers and staff at Sugar Mill with all the tools, skills, and materials to have another successful school year!
ESL InformationESL (English as a Second Language) is provided to English language learners (ELLS) as an intensive program of instruction to accelerate acquisition of proficiency in English language and literacy. ESL instruction is based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) and is accommodated to the student's level of proficiency in English as well as level of academic achievement. Lessons address comprehension, speaking, reading and composition of both oral and written English language. Instruction is provided through supplemental pull-out or content-based classroom instruction.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Identified as a non-English or limited-English speaker
- Based on results of the Oral Language Proficiency State-Approved Test
- Approved by parents to participate in program after initial identification
- Students will progress a minimum of one level of proficiency in English each school year.
- Students will achieve a rating of Advanced High in proficiency in English within four years.
- Students will meet the ESL program exit criteria and become fully integrated into the general education program