Degrees and Certifications:
ESL InformationESL (English as a Second Language) is provided to English language learners (ELLS) as an intensive program of instruction to accelerate acquisition of proficiency in English language and literacy. ESL instruction is based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) and is accommodated to the student's level of proficiency in English as well as level of academic achievement. Lessons address comprehension, speaking, reading and composition of both oral and written English language. Instruction is provided through supplemental pull-out or content-based classroom instruction.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- Identified as a non-English or limited-English speaker
- Based on results of the Oral Language Proficiency State-Approved Test
- Approved by parents to participate in program after initial identification
- Students will progress a minimum of one level of proficiency in English each school year.
- Students will achieve a rating of Advanced High in proficiency in English within four years.
- Students will meet the ESL program exit criteria and become fully integrated into the general education program