Degrees and Certifications:
Master of Arts in Theatre Education Bachelor of Science in Theatre Arts SBEC Standard Certification Theatre EC-12
Mrs. Joi L. Hughes, M.A.
Joi L. Hughes, M.A., received a B.S. in Theatre from Indiana State University and an M.A. in Theatre Education from the University of Houston. Mrs. Hughes’s acting experience includes film, television, national commercials, and theatre. After many years of performing, directing, and adjudicating productions across the United States, Mrs. Hughes became the Director of Theatre Arts at a Fine Arts Magnet in HISD (PreK-8th grade) and has been a proud Missouri City Middle Educator since 2015.
Mrs. Hughes desires to foster a love of Theatre within every student she comes in contact with. The goals of every student in the Theatre Department include but are not limited to:
- Learn empathy, originality, flexibility, and imagination to think and act creatively by solving problems individually or collaboratively.
- Develop the acting skills necessary for a powerful, creative dramatic performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the elements of Theatre production.
- Demonstrate understanding of Theatre Arts concerning history and culture.
- Develop critical skills to evaluate their work and the work of others.
- Demonstrate awareness of and responsibility for the safe and ethical use of materials, methods, and technologies.
- Make connections between Theatre Arts and other fields of knowledge.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply aesthetic criteria for making artistic choices.
Mrs. Hughes looks forward to allowing her students several opportunities to demonstrate their prowess in Theatre Arts throughout the year. Whether it be in the UIL One Act Play competition, one of the four school productions, creative writing/playwriting opportunities, or field trips to expose them to several different types of theatre, Theatre Arts at Missouri City Middle School is guaranteed to be a magical ride that students, parents and the community will enjoy.
Period 1: Theatre IPeriod 2: Theatre II/IIIPeriod 3: Theatre IPeriod 4: ConferencePeriod 5: Theatre IPeriod 6: Theatre II/IIIPeriod 7: Theatre I
Tutorial 1:Tutorial 2:Tutorial 3:Tutorial 4: