Joi L. Hughes is a graduate of Indiana State University, where she earned a Bachelor of Science in Theatre Arts. Although Mrs. Hughes’s acting experience includes film, television and national commercials her first love has and will always be Theatre. After many years of performing, directing and adjudicating productions across the United States, Mrs. Hughes became the Director of Theatre Arts at a Fine Arts Magnet in HISD (PreK-8th grade) in 2012. It is with great pleasure that she is now proud to be a Missouri City Cougar.
It is Mrs. Hughes's desire to foster a love of Theatre within every student that she comes in contact with. The Goals of every student in the Theatre Department include but are not limited to:
- Learn to think and act creatively by solving problems individually or collaboratively and by employing originality, flexibility, and imagination.
- Develop the acting skills necessary for a powerful creative dramatic performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the elements of Theatre production.
- Demonstrate understanding of Theatre Arts in relation to history and culture.
- Develop critical skills to evaluate their own work and the work of others.
- Demonstrate awareness of and responsibility for the safe and ethical use of materials, methods, and technologies.
- Make connections between Theatre Arts and other fields of knowledge.
- Demonstrate ability to apply aesthetic criteria for making artistic choices.
Mrs. Hughes looks forward to allowing her students to have several opportunities throughout the year to demonstrate their prowess in Theatre Arts. Whether it be in the UIL One Act Play competition, one of the four school productions, creative writing/playwriting opportunities or field trips to expose them to several different types of theatre, Theatre Arts at Missouri City Middle School is guaranteed to be a magical ride that students, parents and the community will enjoy.