August 18, 2016
Dear Clements Parent/Guardian:
Welcome to the 2016-17 school year! I had a great time welcoming the Class of 2020 to Clements at Ranger Camp last week and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of students on Monday! I want to share some exciting news and start-of-school updates with you.
- Newsweek magazine recently released their list of the top 500 high schools in the country. Clements ranks #82 (up from #108) on their list. Notably, we are the third highest ranking high school in Texas that has a traditional attendance zone (i.e., not a magnet or charter school)!
- Clements ranks 2nd (1st for traditional schools) among Greater Houston Area high schools based on average SAT scores according to last week’s Houston Chronicle report.
- Our building renovation projects are proceeding very well. I am happy to report that the band and orchestra hall remodeling work is almost complete. The rooms are looking and sounding great! Our interior hallways have a fresh coat of paint and, behind the scenes, we have new water supply lines and all of the HVAC air handlers are being replaced. You can look forward to these additional improvements: new graphics in the Commons, new carpet in the Commons Office and on the first floor of the library, and new signage and banners at Ranger Field.
- The two biggest changes to your student’s daily schedule involve the additional fifteen minutes to the school day. First period will still start at 7:30 A.M. (get here early due to traffic) and the students are dismissed at 2:45 P.M. There were only two options on how to incorporate the additional time into the schedule: a daily fifteen minute “advisory” period or an extension of the lunch time. Input was gathered from the faculty, students, and parents. The majority opinion was to extend lunch time. This will allow students to have a healthy amount of time to eat and time to decompress, collaborate, study (no more study halls in FBISD), rehearse, or simply to rest. The extra time will also allow teachers to have time each day to work and plan with their colleagues.
- Parent Night and Club Night is scheduled for Wednesday, August 31st. An additional reminder will be sent soon. In the meantime, please note that there will be a parent general assembly in the auditorium at 6:00 P.M. and classroom visits will begin promptly at 6:40 P.M.
- Our first pep rally is this Friday night (8/19) at Ranger Field (if raining, meet in the auditorium) at 6:30 P.M. The Ranger Band will perform and we will recognize our fall athletes!
- Lunches are not to be delivered to students at school. You may place forgotten lunches at the attendance office shelf located in the back hallway. Please text/email your child if you are leaving a forgotten lunch so he/she will know to collect it. Fast food lunches are strongly discouraged for high school students. Deliveries from restaurants, florists, and balloon companies will not be accepted at any office. The offices are not responsible for the loss of any lunch items.
- Traffic will be very busy around the campus during the first few days of school. I encourage you to leave early, drive slowly, safely, and device-free. We have many walkers and bike riders - please use caution while driving on and near campus.
Thank you for your support of Clements High School!