FORT BEND ISD (April 20, 2017) – Fort Bend ISD is proud to announce the award winner and nominees named in the 2017 Tommy Tune Awards. Sponsored by Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS), the annual awards program recognizes and rewards excellence in the production of musical theatre by high school students and their teachers. This year, six FBISD theatre groups participated in the awards program – including those representing Austin, Bush, Clements, Dulles, Ridge Point and Travis High Schools.
Of the participating FBISD students/groups, the following were named as a 2017 Tommy Tune award winner and as nominees:
· Jasmine Rogers, Austin High School, Best Leading Actress award for her portrayal of The Witch in Into the Woods
· Michael Duran, Bush High School, nominee for Best Lead Actor as Sweatie Eddie in Sister Act
· Jane Cloninger, Dulles High School, nominee for Best Featured Performer as Chef Louis in The Little Mermaid
· Austin High School, nominee for Best Orchestra, Into the Woods
· Bush High School, nominee for Best Orchestra, Sister Act
· Clements High School, nominee for Best Orchestra, Honk!
About TUTS’ Tommy Tune Awards:
The Tommy Tune Awards are named for Broadway legend, Houston Native and Lamar High School alumnus, Tommy Tune. A performer, director and choreographer with more than 50 years of stage experience, Tune received nine Tony Awards for his work in the following productions: Seesaw, My One and Only, A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine, Nine, Grand Hotel and The Will Rogers Follies. He was also awarded the National Medal of Arts in 2003 by President George Bush.
Photo: 2017 Tommy Tune award winner for Best Leading Actress, Jasmine Rogers of Austin High School