This is the first announcement of National Merit Scholars in 2017 by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation
FORT BEND ISD (April 20, 2017) – Fort Bend ISD is proud to announce that nine high school students are the recipients of 2017 Corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarships. They are among the first group of winners in the 62nd annual National Merit Scholarship Program, sponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). More than 1,000 distinguished high school seniors have won corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholarship awards financed by approximately 200 corporations, company foundations, and other business organizations.
The FBISD 2017 Corporate-sponsored winners (and their probable career fields) are:
· Stephanie Chin – Clements HS – Dr. Joseph J. Jacobs Scholarship (Pharmacy)
· Ashwin Hareesh – Clements HS – Jerry R. Junkins Memorial Scholarship (Engineering)
· Drew Kaul – Clements HS – James E. Casey Scholarship (Computer Science)
· Eshani Kaul – Clements HS – James E. Casey Scholarship (Computer Programming)
· Olivia Liu – Austin HS – Chevron Scholarship (Healthcare)
· Meghan Nguyen – Clements HS – Walgreen Co. Scholarship (Journalism)
· Varun Rajaram – Clements HS – Jerry R. Junkins Memorial Scholarship (Bioinformatics)
· Sara Venkataraman – Clements HS – Chevron Scholarship (Chemical Engineering)
· Zina Zhou – Clements HS – Chevron Scholarship (Chemical Engineering)
These students were selected from those who advanced to the Finalist level in the National Merit Scholarship competition and met criteria of their scholarship sponsors. Corporate sponsors provide National Merit Scholarships for Finalists who are children of their employees, residents of the communities the company serves or who plan to pursue college majors or careers the sponsor wishes to encourage.
Most of the awards are renewable for up to four years of college undergraduate study and provide annual stipends that range from $500 to $10,000 per year. Some provide a single payment between $2,500 and $5,000. Recipients can use their awards at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university of their choice.
This is the first announcement of National Merit Scholars in 2017 by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Recipients of the National Merit $2,500 scholarships will be announced on May 10, and winners of college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards on June 7 and July 17. By the conclusion of this year’s competition, approximately 7,500 academic champions will have won National Merit Scholarships worth more than $32 million.
To learn more about the National Merit Scholarship Program, visit the NMSC website at www.nationalmerit.org.