FORT BEND ISD (December 1, 2016) – Fort Bend ISD is proud to announce that 18 District educators will be honored at the Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators’ (HAABSE) 30th Annual Outstanding Teacher Awards and Recognition Ceremony, which will be held January 18, 2017 at the George R. Brown Convention Center. The FBISD honorees are among approximately 130 Houston area educators who will be recognized at the event.
HAABSE hosts the annual event to thank teachers for the outstanding job they do in working with children and to provide the community with an opportunity to participate in the recognition.
The 2017 FBISD honorees include:
· Errynne Amey – Lantern Lane Elementary
· Chantelle Brown – Brazos Bend Elementary
· Vicky Carty – Sartartia Middle School
· Charlette Davis – Blue Ridge Elementary
· Patience Edwards – Briargate Elementary
· Voke Gbemre – Bush High School
· Sonya Hale – Goodman Elementary
· Cherie Harrison-Willis – Hodges Bend Middle School
· Angel Hicks – Lake Olympia Middle School
· Mia Huycke – Townewest Elementary
· Donnell Jones – Seguin Elementary
· Latauha Lee – Glover Elementary
· Ashley Lucineo – Drabek Elementary
· Erik Smith – First Colony Middle School
· Reginald Taylor – Hightower High School
· Marion Thomas – Dulles Elementary
· Kasha Williams – Dulles High School
· Teasa Williams-Sykes – Ridge Point High School
During the ceremony, HAABSE will announce the winners of the 2017 HAABSE Secondary Teacher of the Year award, 2017 HAABSE Elementary Teacher of the Year award and the 2017 HAABSE Living Legend Award. Award recipients and runner-ups win monetary awards ranging from $100 to $1,000. The alliance will also award a $1,000 college scholarship to a high school senior in pursuit of a degree in education.
Last year, Glover Elementary School teacher Micah Nickerson was named the 2016 HAABSE Elementary Teacher of the Year.
The Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators’ primary mission is to enhance the education of all students and to exercise leadership in providing valuable professional services and strategies to institutions, agencies, and communities engaged in creating an environment in which students can achieve academic excellence.