National Elementary Honor Society
The National Elementary Honor Society (NEHS) was established in 2008 by the National Association of Secondary School Principals(NASSP) in partnership with the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP). NEHS recognizes students in both public and nonpublic elementary schools for their outstanding academic achievement and demonstrated personal responsibility.
Through Blue Ridge Elementary NEHS, students provide meaningful service to the school and community and develop essential leadership skills. NEHS supports these purposes by strengthening the lives of our students and school. NEHS acknowledges achievement and focuses on the needs of the total child. In addition, NEHS provides information and resources to enhance the culture of achievement in the whole school, not merely the culture of a select few.
As the nation's newest student recognition program, NEHS joins the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) and National Honor Society (NHS), the nation's two oldest and largest student recognition programs, in creating a continuum of excellence being established throughout the elementary, middle, and high school education community.
To qualify for an invitation to become a member of NEHS potential members must:
- Must maintain a cumulative, overall elementary school average of 85.0% in ALL courses with numerical grades and have no failing final grades in any courses.
- Must have been enrolled at the school for at least one full semester.
- Must abide by Blue Ridge ES NEHS Chapter By-Laws.
- Must demonstrate sound and effective leadership, admirable citizenship, and trustworthy character at Blue Ridge Elementary and in the community.
- Must participate in and have transportation to any NEHS Chapter community service projects.
Students will be invited to apply to NEHS during the months of March or April if they met the 85 or higher scholarly criteria. Students who received an application and submit it prior to the designated deadline will then be evaluated on the three remaining NEHS pillars by the Campus Faculty Council: Responsibility, Service and Character.
Students who are accepted into the Blue Ridge Elementary NEHS will be expected to take part in the Induction Ceremony which takes place in late spring or early fall.
Please see below for Blue Ridge Elementary's Chapter Bylaws.