Purpose: Quill and Scroll is the national journalism high school honor society, founded in 1926. The Ridge Point chapter was founded in 2015. Meetings are held monthly and are conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order. Officers will be elected in April for the following year; officers are expected to attend a monthly officers’ meeting in addition to the general meeting.
Requirements:Q&S recognizes leadership and exemplary performance from journalism students nationwide through contests and college scholarship opportunities. Ridge Point students can earn a letter jacket and/or an honor cord to be worn onstage at graduation (FBISD only allows a small number of national honor society cords to be worn).
Invitation to join (January)*
· All sophomores, juniors or seniors who earn a 90 or above during the first semester will be invited to join
· All new members must pay a national initiation fee of $25 by May 1 and pay for their t-shirt by the first meeting in order to be in good standing
Earning a letter jacket (May)
· Must be a Quill and Scroll member in good standing (see below)
· Must have earned at least 50 points
Earning a graduation honor cord (June of senior year)
· Met all requirements for earning a letter jacket
· Has maintained membership since induction without a lapse
· Has paid the $10 fee for an honor cord by May 1 of senior year
Maintaining good standing
· Members must earn at least 25 points per semester by participating in journalism-related contests and club volunteer activities (new members must earn 20 points their first semester) · Must maintain a term average of 90 or higher in all journalism classes · Members must follow the RPHS Quill and Scroll twitter feed (www.twitter.com/RPHSQuillScroll) · Members must join the RPHS Quill and Scroll remind by texting @h4a96 to 81010 · New members must pay annual RPHS membership dues of $25 by May 1 of induction year · Returning members must pay annual RPHS membership dues of $20 by first meeting in September