Welcome to Hightower class of 2024 Students & guardian,
I am Mrs. Blaylock and I will be your student’s English 1 teacher for the 2020 – 2021 school year. This is my second year on Hurricane Lane; however, I have been an educator for fifteen years in various school districts across Houston and the DFW metroplex. I am a wife, mother, a former college track and field athlete who enjoys cooking, traveling, and attending sporting events. This year I will be leading the English 1 team as well as the sponsor for both Student Council and the senior class.
I know the beginning of the 2021 school year is much different than school years in the past. Nevertheless, I foresee this will still be an amazing school year. I am truly excited to have your student in my class. It is a joy to begin the journey of high school with each student. Together we can work to ensure that each and every student is academically successful, and on the path to becoming a Hightower Hurricane graduate.
I ensure you that I will do the follow:
- Build a relationship with your student
- Meet your student where they are academically & teach to their needs
- Communicate frequently with you and your student
- Do my very best to answer all questions students and guardians pose
- Be patient while in our unique learning setting and
- Make this year of learning memorable
In return my expectation are as follows:
- I expect to students and guardians to ask questions when they are unsure.
- I expect students to utilize their resources at all times.
- I expect students to be honest with me. I understand we are experiencing unchartered waters, and sometimes we may become overwhelmed, or have unique roadblocks.
- I expect students to put forth their full effort at all times.
- I expect students to be prepared, punctual, and productive daily,
- I expect students to participate during synchronous learning in the manner that is most comfortable for them. (ex. Chat room, verbally via their microphone, etc.)
- I expect guardians to assist me in resolving issues that may occur regarding behavior and/or academics.
- I expect appropriately stated genuine feedback from students and guardian, and a sufficient amount of time to resolve any issues.