During a regular board meeting on Tuesday, January 19, 2016, the Fort Bend ISD Board of Trustees approved a 2016-17 District Calendar that includes 176 days of instruction and an additional 15 daily instructional minutes at all levels.
The 2016-17 District Calendar was created in compliance with new state legislation that requires at least 75,600 minutes of instruction. House Bill 2610, passed by the 84th Texas Legislature, amended the Texas Education Code to require a minimum of instructional minutes, rather than the former requirement of 180 days of instruction. House Bill 2610 also allows districts flexibility to add minutes to the school day to compensate for instruction lost due to school closures caused by bad weather.
In order to absorb two make-up days, comply with HB 2610 and avoid changes to regular Thanksgiving and holiday breaks, the proposed 2016-17 District calendar has added 15 minutes to the length of the school day at all levels. This means should Fort Bend ISD need to cancel school up to two times during the year, students would not have to make-up the days at another designated time.
The 2016-17 District Calendar was developed with the assistance of a committee that included teachers, administrators, parents, and representatives from various District departments. From December 2015 to January 2016, Fort Bend ISD took public feedback on the proposed calendar and received more than 700 responses.
Highlights of the calendar include:
· Maintaining Fort Bend County Fair Holiday
· Maintaining week off at Thanksgiving Break
· Avoid entering into week of December 19 for Winter Break
· Avoid having students return on Jan. 2 from Winter Break
· Maintaining early dismissals
· Final exams before Winter Break
· Absorption of two bad weather make-up days
· Aligning Spring Break with surrounding districts
· A built-in fall break between Labor Day and Thanksgiving
· Assurance of adequate time to insure UIL eligibility in the fall.
Following the calendar’s adoption, a separate group of stakeholders will determine the exact start and stop times for all levels.